Home >> Linux >> Fiat Chrysler Will Pay Tesla To Dodge Billions In Emissions Fines

Fiat Chrysler Will Pay Tesla To Dodge Billions In Emissions Fines

MDMurphy writes: While people have good and bad things to say about Tesla, one consistent thing has been that the cars emit zero emissions when operating. But in Europe, in exchange for cash, Tesla is merging its fleet with that of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA). The amount FCA is paying Tesla is presumably less than they would in fines if they were on their own. With this merging of the fleets, in Europe at least, a Tesla is no more clean than a diesel Fiat. “The Italian-American carmaker is behind on meeting the new standard, and the so-called open pool option available at the EU allows automakers to group their fleets together to meet the targets,” reports Bloomberg. “Payments to Tesla, whose electric cars don’t produce CO2 emissions, may amount to over 500 million euros, according to Jefferies.” Ars Technica reports on the strict new EU regulations: “From 2020, 95 percent of an automaker’s new cars sold in the EU have to meet this target, with the remaining 5 percent falling under the law in 2021. And the penalties for failing are draconian: a $107 ‘excess emissions premium’ per gram of CO2 over the target, for every single car registered in the EU that year. For some OEMs, this has the potential to be ruinous; if FCA’s portfolio were the same in 2021 as it was in 2018, the automaker would have to pay some $3.12 billion, out of total net global profits of $4.1 billion.”


Share on Google+

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

*