President Trump said Sunday that he and Chinese President Xi Jinping are working to put the troubled Chinese telecom manufacturer ZTE back in business. From a report: “President Xi of China, and I, are working together to give massive Chinese phone company, ZTE, a way to get back into business, fast,” Trump said in a message on Twitter. “Too many jobs in China lost. Commerce Department has been instructed to get it done!” ZTE, maker of Android phones popular with budget-minded consumers, said Wednesday that it would cease “major operating activities,” raising questions not only about its survival, but the impact on U.S. consumers who have previously bought or were thinking of buying ZTE phones. The announcement followed a decision last month by the U.S. Commerce Department, which banned American companies from exporting products to the Shenzhen, China-based telecom firm for seven years.
Read more of this story at Slashdot.